The Stoner Pundit

Choose you're own slogan for this site, because I'm too stoned to figure one out: Higher Discourse for Higher Minded People. cool. way cool. Last week's news reported to you tomorrow. I'm fairly combative for a pothead. I've found a friend in weed. Pothead slackers unite! Because being a pothead is way better for society than being a loser meth addict.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Candidate

I was stoned off my arse yesterday afternoon, having taken the day off from work to do so, when I turned on HBO2 or 3 or whatever number it is on Directv, to see The Candidate was on. I had to watch it. I've seen the movie once when I was probably 12 or 13, but didn't remember that much about it other than it was about a political campaign and Robert Redford was in it.

Has anything changed politically in this country in the 33 years since this movie came out? Robert Redford was (and I believe is in real life) a Democrat. Even if they had renamed the parties to Political Party 1 and Political Party 2 for the movie, you would still know which was the Democrat and which was the Republican party.

Are we mindless rubes who listen to (and occasionally get excited about) the same recycled rhetoric? We've all been organized and put in our spot in suburbville or cubicle land at work. Or are we just being worked over in the same manner? It's all marketing and advertising really. For the most part we don't know what's happening in Washington. There are deals being made every day that we as citizens can't even comprehend. And we probably don't want to and we probably don't care.